Our reputation in the Canary Islands for eye care also includes the area related to oculoplastic surgery for the results regarding the management of the delicate tissues surrounding the eye. Service Surgery Oculoplastic Clinic Nivaria It offers an updated diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the eyelids and orbit, including trauma, tumors, thyroid eye disease (Graves disease), as well as functional, reconstructive and therapeutic surgery for disorders of the tear drainage system. In this section we will solve some of the most frequent doubts of our patients about this ophthalmological specialty:
What is the surgery Oculoplastic?
Oculoplasty refers to restorative surgery procedures related to the eyes and the surrounding structures. These surgeries can be reconstructive surgeries, to correct the anomalies in the structure, either by trauma, tumors etc. Functional surgeries, to correct defects such as congenital or acquired palpebral fall or cosmetic surgeries, to improve the appearance of the eye contour .
What are the reasons to undergo an oculoplasty procedure?
Plastic surgeries could be done to treat the following common abnormalities:
- Upper eyelids drooping (ptosis).
- Eyelids that are reversed inward (entropion) or outward (ectropion).
- Eye problems caused by diseases of the thyroid gland such as Graves-Basedow disease (orbitopathy that generates "bulging eyes").
- Skin cancers or other tumors or cysts around the eye.
- Weakness around the eye or eyelids caused by peripheral facial paralysis.
- Problems in the tear ducts.
- Injuries to the eye or the area around it.
- Congenital defects in the eye socket (the bone around the eye).
- Cosmetic problems, such as excess skin on the upper eyelids, swollen lower eyelids and "droopy" eyelids
If you suffer from any of these pathologies, click on the image of our promotion:
Prevention of eyelid surgery:
Before discussing eyelid correction methods, prevention is always preferable to treatment. Drinking an adequate amount of water, eating a balanced meal that includes fiber and minerals, maintaining a proper sleeping pattern, wearing good quality sunglasses and keeping your eyes clean and hydrated are ways to avoid any type of eye surgery.
The shape of our eyes, the position of the eyelids and the eyebrows determine the expression of our eyes. If you need an ophthalmologic exam to determine if you require an oculoplastic intervention, do not hesitate and contact our Ophthalmology Clinic in Tenerife. We will be happy to assist you and provide effective solutions.