Glaucoma is a degenerative disease caused by increased pressure inside the eye. Glaucoma treatment aims to reduce the pressure inside the eye. In Nivaria Clinic We have extensive experience as well as expert glaucoma specialists.
The loss of vision caused by glaucoma is irreversible, but if it is detected in time and treatment is followed with care and consistency, vision can be preserved. Usually, glaucoma can be controlled with medication or surgery. If you are diagnosed with this disease, it is important that you follow a treatment plan without failures.
Types of glaucoma
- Open-angle glaucoma, occurs when intraocular fluid has difficulty having optimal drainage. This type of glaucoma gradually reduces peripheral vision and generally has no symptoms until advanced stages. By the time the symptoms begin to be appreciated, permanent and unrecoverable damage will have already occurred, so prevention (intraocular pressure taking and fundus assessment) is paramount.
- Closed angle glaucoma is caused by blockage of the drainage area resulting in sudden symptoms such as eye pain, headaches, halos surrounding the lights, pupil dilation, vision loss, red eyes, nausea and vomiting.
- Normal tension glaucoma (GTN), in this case, the optic nerve is damaged even though the eye pressure is not very high. It is usually due to poor eye circulation and systemic diseases as well as bad habits (alcohol, tobacco ...).
- Congenital glaucoma, arises in babies when there is an incorrect or incomplete development of the drainage channels of the eye during the prenatal period. It is a rare condition that can be inherited and requires surgery.
- Other types of glaucoma variants of open-angle and closed-angle glaucoma: Secondary glaucoma, Pigmentary glaucoma, Pseudoexfoliative glaucoma, Traumatic glaucoma, Neovascular glaucoma, Iridocorneal endothelial syndrome (SEI). There are different methods of treating glaucoma by controlling intraocular pressure. Treatment for glaucoma includes antihypertensive eye drops, laser surgery (laser trabeculoplasty), conventional surgery, implantation of drainage devices or a combination of any of these methods. Trabeculoplasty is a technique indicated for people suffering from open-angle glaucoma in its early stages. The surgeon uses a laser beam to make the drainage angle work better.
From what age can glaucoma appear?
It usually occurs after 40 years and is a condition whose risk of suffering increases with age. Even so, as we have mentioned, there are cases of glaucoma that begin in early life.
How is glaucoma detected?
What can I do to prevent glaucoma?
En Nivaria Clinic we recommend that the review for glaucoma be part
of routine eye exams in children, adolescents and adults. Therefore, following periodic ophthalmologic check-ups is essential when it comes to preventing, diagnosing and treating any eye condition.